Enjoy a lemon-layer cake
Lemon cake (that can stand for itself!)
- 220 gr butter, soft (2 sticks)
- 200 gr sugar (1 cup)
- 4 eggs
- 240 gr flour (~1 3/4 cups)
- 6 gr baking powder (2 tsp)
- 3 gr baking soda (1 tsp)
- 120 ml buttermilk (1/2 cup)
- Lemon zest
- Dried lavender flours
Sift the flour, baking powder and soda into a bowl.
Whip the butter, lemon zest lavender and sugar until you have a nice fluffy pale cream. add the eggs, one by one, and mix until they are completely combined. Add the flour and buttermilk alternately, and mix until the batter is unified.
Place baking paper at the bottom of a 18-20cm cake pan, and transfer the batter to the pan. bake at 170 C for 30-35 min, and let the cake cool completely (!).
Lemon curd (that can be used in a variety of other desserts, such as French lemon tart).
- 5 eggs
- 250 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 170 gr sugar
- 100 gr butter, room temp ( a little less than one stick)
In a sauce pan over a medium heat whisk lemon juice, eggs and sugar (constantly mix) until the mixture has reached a very thick consistency (if you got some ‘omelets’ in the curd just transfer it through a sift). Transfer the curd to a bowl and let it reach room temp. Whisk in the butter, cover with nylon wrap and transfer to the fridge.
- Cool lemon curd
- cool lemon cake
- A little rum
- Lemon zest
- Dried lavender leaves
When every par of our lemon tower is completely cold we can combine them to get our layer cake.
Level the lemon cake to get a straight surface. slice the cake horizontally to 3-4 slices (which will be 3-4 layers). Put the bottom layer in a plate and drizzle some rum. Spread some lemon curd, then place another cake layer.. And continue like this with all 3-4 layers. It is highly recommended to cool the cake in the freezer for a short while after the placement of each layer.
When all layers are in place, decorate the cake with butter-cream, lemon zest and lavender, or not.. a ‘naked’ cake works too.
Taste it- it’s delicious!
Comments and commentaries:
- You can use butter-cream, cream cheeese frosting or no frosting at all on the cake.
- The cake should not be kept more than a couple of days (but each part can be made another day in advance).
- Keep the cake in the fridge at all times.
- Lemon curd recipe is from the book- biscuits et petit gateaux- Marabou.