Here is my first try at this cakes/ pastry called ‘Presburger’.
I used the recipe from ‘www.hashulchan.co.il’
For the dough:
- 750 gr (5 1/3 cups) flour (bread flour, if u have it)
- 250 (1 cup +1tbs) soft butter
- 1tsp salt
- 20gr (1 tbs) sugar
- 1 egg+ 2 yolks
- 25gr (half a package) fresh yeast
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 180ml (3/4 cup) orange juice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water
For the filling:
- 240ml (1 cup) water (I used half water half milk)
- 250gr (1 1/4 cups) sugar (I used 200gr, which is 1 cup, and could have used less)
- 44gr (2tbs) honey
- 40gr (3tbs) butter
- juice + zest from 1 lemon
- 250gr (3.5 cups) FRESHLY ground poppy (never ever use grounded poppy from the supermarket, it is bitter as hell)
- some nutmeg, and cinnamon (1/2 tsp cinnamon)
- 50gr (1/3 cup) raisins (didn’t have any, so i used sour dried cherries)
- 100gr (1cup) chopped nuts
- 2tbs grounded biscuits or butter cookies (didn’t have any, so I used flour)
Mix all the dough ingredients for 8 min, cover with nylon and set aside for 2 hours/ over night.
For the filling, bring to the boil the water and milk with sugar and honey, add butter spices lemon+ zest, add the raisins and then the poppy. Take off the stove and Mix in the nuts. Set aside to cool.
When morning arrives, divide the dough to 45/60 gr pieces, roll them out to thin circles, put 1tsp of filling at one end, and roll them to a kind of a croissant.
- Never ever use poppy that is not freshly grounded, it will not taste good. if u cant get poppy make cheese or nuts only filling.
- I think my dough came out of the oven too soft, less yeast might be a solution (not that soft dough is bad).
- I do not recommend using the full amount of sugar stated in the formal recipe, really really too sweet.
- The recommended amount of filling is 1tbs, it looks like a small amount, but using 1.5tsp will cause your presburgers to pop, like mine (yes, i used 1.5tsp..).
- The ‘croissant’ shape pretty easily opens up, so if u want your presburgers to shape like a horse shoe, make sure the are firmly shaped before putting in the oven.
- These are yummy!